This honey and garlic chicken is healthy and delicious with a sweet, sticky garlic icing. The marinade only needs 5 ingredients and is ready in less than 10 minutes.
This will be your new favorite rotisserie chicken for barbecues or just for everyday meals. If you love crazy easy grilled chicken dishes, check out my BBQ, Hawaiian, and Californian Avocado Chicken too!
Quick and easy honey garlic chicken recipe
If you’re looking for a tender, juicy chicken recipe with a sticky garlic sauce, you’ve come to the right place. This honey and garlic chicken is so soft and delicious that it sear to perfection on the grill, getting moist and flavorful every time. The best thing about this Honey Garlic Chicken is that it only takes a few pantry staples to spice it up and it’s healthy! Anything that tastes so good but doesn’t kill my diet gets an A + in my book.
While grilling chicken is so easy, it is difficult to get it right. Over the years I’ve got grilled chicken that is tough and rubbery. Proper marinade and cooking techniques are so important. I will walk you through this tender, delicious chicken step by step. My family loves it and I know yours too!
Ingredients for grilled honey-garlic chicken
Don’t let the simple list of ingredients fool you, this honey and garlic chicken has a big, sophisticated taste with the perfect combination marinade. Your family will love this dinner recipe! You can find all the ingredient measurements on the recipe card below.
- Uncooked Chicken: You can use either thighs or chicken breasts.
- honey: For sweetening and giving the marinade the perfect, sticky texture.
- Soy sauce: For a perfect, hearty marinade base.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Helps tenderize the chicken and add a sweet, tangy taste.
- garlic: Hacked.
- Lemon juice: Fresh from the juice of a small lemon. While fresh lemon juice gives the best flavor, you can also replace it with bottled lemon juice.
- Sesame seeds and green onions: Optional for garnish.
How To Make Honey Garlic Chicken Make
Because this chicken is so easy and cooks in minutes, you have more time to prepare a delicious side dish like the Greek broccoli pasta salad for a complete summer dish! In just a few steps, this honey and garlic chicken will be on your table in no time!
- Prepare the marinade: In a small bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, garlic and lemon together. Save ¼ cup of sauce
- Add to Chicken: Put the rest of the sauce with the chicken in a medium-sized bowl and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- grill: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and grill the chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until it is no longer pink. Baste the reserved marinade occasionally in the last 5 minutes.
- garnish: Add green onions and sesame seeds as desired.
Tips and tricks for grilled chicken
With these simple tips, your chicken will be tender and tasty every time! These tips will help you make the best honey and garlic chicken right on the grill!
- Chicken thickness: Larger pieces of chicken take longer to grill. Chicken usually cooks in 3-5 minutes on both sides, but if your cuts are thicker you may need to add more time.
- Fat grill: Before grilling, brush your grill with oil to prevent your chicken from sticking to it.
- Baste often: Brushing your chicken with marinade frequently during the cooking process will result in a perfectly caramelized outside.
- Cover your grill: Not covering your grill means longer cooking times. It also prevents your chicken from being completely surrounded by hot air for even cooking.
- Thinning Chicken Breasts: If one of your chicken breasts is much thicker than the others, hit it with a mallet before cooking to make sure it cooks at the same speed as the others.
- How to tell when chicken is ready: When the juices turn clear or the internal temperature hits 165 degrees Fahrenheit, your chicken is ready.
What to serve with grilled honey and garlic chicken
This flavorful chicken goes well with so many different dishes. I love it on rice served with grilled vegetables for a healthy bowl of rice. Also tastes great with salads and sandwiches. Serve with pasta salad, grilled vegetables or potatoes for a complete meal.
Save grilled honey and garlic chicken
Honey Garlic Chicken is the perfect meal to cook, freeze, and reheat beforehand using these simple tips!
- In the refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- In the freezer: Grilled chicken will last 4 months in the freezer in an airtight container. Let thaw before reheating.
- Warm up: Grilled chicken is best reheated in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
More grilled chicken favorites
Simple, tasty, and flavorful, these other grilled chicken recipes will please on your next summer barbecue. Try them all this summer!
In a small bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, garlic and lemon together. Save ¼ cup of the sauce and add the rest of the sauce to a medium bowl with the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat and grill the chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until it is no longer pink. Baste the reserved marinade occasionally in the last 5 minutes. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds if you like.
Calories426kcal (21%)carbohydrates25thG (8th%)protein26thG (52%)fat25thG (38%)Saturated fat7thG (35%)Polyunsaturated fat5GMonounsaturated fatty acids10GTrans fats1Gcholesterol148mg (49%)sodium658mg (27%)potassium353mg (10%)Fiber1G (4%)sugar23G (26%)Vitamin A118IE (2%)vitamin C1mg (1%)calcium19thmg (2%)iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Every recipe and nutritional value depends on the brands, measuring methods and serving sizes used per household.
kitchen American, Asian-American
keyword grilled honey and garlic chicken